Contact Name - Gonzaga Human Resources
Contact Phone - 509-313-5996
Contact Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gonzaga Marcom team is looking for a talented visual designer who is strategic, resourceful, highly creative and capable of producing original creative designs for a full range of marketing projects such as print projects; publications; print, digital and interactive advertisements; brochures; web pages; and HTML e-mails. A motivated self-starter as well as a multi-tasker, the designer is collaborative and highly organized, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, and has a strong work ethic. The designer works in a fast-paced environment on both small and large, multi-department teams. This position reports to the Sr. Marketing & Communications Specialist and works with the several Marketing & Communications team members on brand development and client projects. The designer also works with members of the creative team including designers, writers, project managers, photographers and videographers to map out creative directions, identify clear roles and see print projects through to completion enjoying a high degree of autonomy in the process. The position works closely with members of the web team on various digital production projects, including creating graphics and basic HTML for use in web pages and emails. The designer must understand the importance of relationship management across the campus and work to maintain solid working relationships with clients. Additionally, the designer will manage some projects including budgeting, setting timelines and executing project plans and should be able to do so successfully.
• Create high-quality, comprehensive graphic designs from concept to completion using Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office suite.
• Create graphic design concepts (in full composition form) to present and discuss with project leaders and in-house clients.
• Create logos and identity marks as needed for sub-branding efforts and special events, ensuring all marks adhere to University identity standards and feel like natural extensions of the Gonzaga brand.
• Create icons and infographics as needed for use in web, email, and print projects.
• Direct photo shoots to meet desired design and layout needs.
• Create and/or obtain illustrations and stock photography that meet project design and layout needs.
• Complete typography and layout with a high degree of exactness and attention to detail.
• Specify paper stock, weight, print treatments and bindery to meet desired objectives for print projects.
• Proofread, prepare and package graphic files and transfer to service providers and printers.
• Verify color proofs from the print vendor for accuracy and color correctness.
• Coordinate and attend press checks and work with print vendors to ensure the final product meets expectations.
Strategy and Planning
• Research, initiate and develop the use of web technologies to strengthen information sharing, community and engagement on campus and among University constituents.
• Create and follow through on project management details including planning, tracking and reporting.
• Keep updated on digital trends and emerging technologies, and position the University as a leader in digital communications.
Web and Email Design and Publishing
• Serve as the lead creative visual designer on web, email, social media, and digital advertising projects as needed, from initial brainstorming through completion.
• Create graphics that are sized appropriately and optimized for use within the University’s website and intranet, email templates, and social media platforms.
• Produce designs that look and will work great at a variety of display sizes (desktop through mobile) and resolutions (“retina” and non-retina)
• Assist with the design and production of HTML email templates.
• Become proficient in various web content management and email marketing systems, including using the systems to create, test and publish web pages and send emails.
• Support the forthcoming launches of 2 new websites (external and internal); by assisting with many aspects of site production – from selecting, resizing and, uploading photos and graphics to build, edit, and maintain pages within the content management system and assist with content/image migration.
• Work with the web team to become proficient within our content management systems, supporting development, maintenance and publishing of University web standards.
• Maintain the content and design of central university digital publications and blogs including: monthly e-newsletters, the online version of Gonzaga Magazine, and the To Be Continued blog.
• Help ensure all online images and other content published meets University standards, WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines, and industry best practices.
Visual Identity Advancement and Brand Management
• Assist in maintaining and advancing the University visual brand including appropriate and creative use of the brand elements: logo, color palette, typography, templates and imagery.
• Apply brand elements across all projects and mediums to ensure a consistent brand image.
• Work with internal clients (university administrators, web coordinators and marketing administrators) to provide design consultation and professional services in the development of department websites and other digital marketing and communications media.
• Work with University departments and clients to implement web designs that work in harmony with the University’s content management and email marketing systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field (graphic and/or web design degree strongly preferred), or any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
• At least three (3) years recent experience in web design or front-end development.
• At least five (5) years graphic design work experience.
• Ability to work very comfortably on Macintosh and/or PC platforms.
• Demonstrated proficiency with:
- Adobe Creative Cloud applications especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- HTML5 and CSS
- Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Content Management and blogging platforms such as Wordpress, Sitecore, Drupal, etc.
• Solid understanding of color theory and design principles and the ability to apply them appropriately across print and digital projects.
• Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects and steps of print, digital and web creative and production processes.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision.
• Experience with pre-press file creation and printing and bindery processes.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Keen attention to detail and strong proofreading skills.
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record necessary to drive to and oversee press checks, direct photo shoots, and pick-up and deliver printed projects.
• Knowledge of and experience with social media platforms
• Experience with building web banner ads in Adobe Animate, Photoshop, or similar software Experience with front-end web development and frameworks such as Bootstrap
• Proficient conceptualization and illustration skills.
• Continual research of design trends, undertaking appropriate research when required, thus ensuring Gonzaga’s creative is innovative and creative.
• Demonstrated experience and understanding of customer service
• Strong knowledge of web best practices
• Familiarity with and experience ensuring accessibility to WCAG 2.0 AA standards